One of the most important things you need when you open an ecommerce store is traffic. Without traffic, you will have very few sales—even if you have a fantastic product or you’re in a stellar niche. In fact, this is why many people fail: they believe that they don’t really have to market their store because their product or niche is great, and they think that customers will simply flock to their store because of it. Unfortunately, it really doesn’t work out that way.
You need to attract traffic to your business. If you have no idea how you’re going to do that, drop everything that you’re doing so that you can figure out how.
This blog post will show you an underrated traffic generation method that you can use to quickly gain customers.
What’s the method? Google Shopping.
What’s Google Shopping?
If you’ve done any shopping online in the past year, you have likely seen Google Shopping ads. They’re very similar to the regular ads you see from Adwords, but they have a different appearance and a different functionality.
For example, you Google the keyword “buy sweaters online”. Sweater ads will appear on the top of Google’s first page, along with the product image and price. If you click on the Shopping tab on Google’s search results, you’ll see more sweater ads.
This is very powerful for a few reasons, so let’s break it down:
- The ad appears on very top of Google’s search. Nearly everyone who searches for that keyword will see that ad.
- The ad is visually strong because the product image is shown. The showcase of a good product image will attract more interested visitors to your site.
- Price is a very important factor when it comes to online sales. With Google Shopping the price appears with the ad listing.
How to Set Up a Google Shopping Account
- Sign up for a Google Merchant account. Also, you will need a Google Adwords account
- Create a data feed within your merchant accont. To do so, click on Feeds on the left-hand column. The feed is basically the information Google needs to upload your products. Fill out all of the requested information.
- Link your AdWords account. Go to the sidebar and click on Settings and click AdWords, then click Link Account.
- Go to your AdWords account, and click on +Campaign. Next, click on Shopping. Name your campaign.
- Start bidding on the campaign. Set up your maximum cost per click (CPC) for your ads.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Google Shopping Campaign
Google Shopping ads can be an inexpensive traffic generation method. Some things to know:
- You can’t bid on keywords with Google Shopping ads. Once you upload your products to the feed, Google uses that data to formulate what keywords your ad will appear on. Since Google has a plethora of search data to mine from, this is not a bad thing.
- Although you can’t set up keywords, you can select negative keywords. This means that your ad will not appear on that keyword. For example, if you don’t want people who type “buy cheap sweaters online” to see your ad, put it on the negative keyword list.
- When first starting out, bid small numbers $10-$20. This is to test if your campaign has any legs.
- Although ad space is small, copy still matters. Create enticing ad titles for your products.
If you run an ecommerce store, traffic is a necessity for your store to grow. Remember that having a great product doesn’t necessarily mean that you store is successful. Just like any other online venture, you need high quality traffic to bring visitors and make sales.
Are you ready to discuss your next web project with the leader in website development and digital marketing? If so, contact Zen Agency today! We are a group of WordPress and WooCommerce experts.
Want more digital strategy advice and insights?
Sign up for our newsletter.
Facebook is at it again, innovating the social media landscape … this time with its uber-popular platform, Instagram. In a March 19th press release, the company unveiled the new Instagram Checkout feature, an e-commerce extension of the app. Since it’s currently in beta with only 25 companies, not much is known about it, and businesses…
According to a study published by the U.S. Census Bureau’s Department of Commerce, total e-commerce sales in the United States were estimated at $513.6 billion in 2018, a 14.2% increase from 2017. This data has been on an upward trend since 2009. Future projections globally cement e-commerce as the primary shopping method. Now, more than…
The most exciting part of doing business in this day in age is how much technology is available. This elevates the potential of what you can do with your marketing since it opens up a world of opportunities. While technology won’t be the magic button that will fix all of your problems, it helps accelerate…
Sales are the lifeblood of any business. Without a steady stream of sales, you don’t have revenue. And without revenue, you don’t have a thriving business. In today’s post, we’re going to look at the three tenets of lead generation, and how you can use them to exponentially grow your business. Tenet 1: You Must…
Zen Agency has earned the Sharpspring Silver Partner Certification from Sharpspring, a leading marketing automation platform. Why Does Marketing Automation Matter? The marketing automation tools provided by Zen Agency as a Sharpspring Silver Partner allows you to deliver the right message to the right leads. Track your content, who is seeing it, and craft an…
If you were to go back 20 years, you would see that law firm marketing was starkly different than it is today. You would see more billboards, late-night infomercials, neighborhood flyers, and newspaper ads. These days, we have websites, SEO, pay-per-click ads, and social media marketing. The options available to lawyers today give them countless…
Almost every successful website has one thing in common: Great content. You can have an extremely beautiful website with all the bells and whistles, but if you don’t have content, your web presence is woefully incomplete. You must learn how to start content marketing the proper way. There are no shortcuts: You need good content.…
Many businesses jump straight into marketing without a plan. This is a big mistake. Going into battle without a strategy will leave you with a poorly spent marketing budget and lackluster results. Often enough, the difference between companies who dominate the marketplace and companies who fail to get off the ground is simple: A clear,…
If I were to ask you, “what’s the #1 search engine?”, you would automatically say, “Google”, and you’d be right. But what if I were to ask you to state the #2 search engine? Some would say Bing or Yahoo, but the truth is that Youtube is the second largest search engine in the world.…
Let’s say you’re a business that’s running different online and marketing channels like SEO, PPC, email marketing and direct mail. You notice a remarkable uptick in sales, but you’re not precisely sure where they are coming from, as you’re using a variety of different marketing methods. If many of your leads contact you via the…